When should I call my doctor if I have warts and plantar warts?

If you have warts and plantar warts you should call your doctor for the following reasons.
  • Your plantar warts do not improve with treatment. In some cases, your doctor may want to perform a biopsy to rule out other possible causes of the warts.
  • Your warts do not respond to self-care and you would like your doctor to remove them.
  • You have signs of infection, including redness, pus, discharge, red streaking, fever and bleeding, especially bleeding that doesn't stop when you apply pressure.
  • Your wart causes pain.
  • Your warts are spreading.
  • You have anal and/or genital warts.
  • You have diabetes or a weakened immune system and you develop warts.
  • The wart starts to look or feel different or changes color.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral infections like herpes simplex, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), chicken pox and rotavirus are infections caused by a virus instead of a bacterium. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics, but some specific viruses ...

like influenza A and B can be treated with certain antiviral medications. Most commonly, treatment for viral infections includes drinking lots of fluids, getting rest, eating well and letting the illness run its course.