How should I care for someone with encephalitis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

When caring for someone with encephalitis, remember to offer both emotional and physical support. Encephalitis can cause pain and muscle weakness, making it difficult to perform daily activities. A person with severe encephalitis may experience confusion and memory loss and will need lots of emotional support, understanding and encouragement. You should also know what symptoms may signal a change for the worse, like seizures, loss of consciousness, severe headache or sudden mental impairment (depression, withdrawal from daily life, lack of judgment, for example). It may help to attend doctor appointments and physical therapy sessions with the person. Encephalitis may be life threatening, and dealing with the disease could be stressful.

If you're caring for someone with encephalitis, you should know that people with encephalitis might have trouble remembering things and might get tired more easily. People with encephalitis need extra support from everyone in the family.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

How long does a virus stay active in the blood?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
The answer to your question is: it depends on the kind of virus you're talking about.Whenever any vi...
Can I get viral skin infections from pets?
Many infections caused by contact with pets, the environment around pets or pet waste are bacterial,...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with croup?
In most cases, croup lasts less than a week and is mild enough to be treated at home. Be aware that ...
How do other illnesses affect viral infections?
Other illnesses such as heart problems or diabetes can cause the symptoms of a viral infection to be...