What is rubella?

Rubella (German measles) is a contagious viral disease that has mild symptoms, much like the common cold. However, rubella can cause birth defects (and even death) in a fetus. Therefore, it is important that any pregnant woman who has been exposed to rubella see her doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Why You Should Be Paying Attention to West Nile Virus
During the sultry months of summer, mosquitos are usually just a nuisance when you spend time outdoors. But when they hold the potential to pass on se...
Are certain viruses seasonal?
Howard I. Baron, MDHoward I. Baron, MD
Certain viruses that cause children gastrointestinal upset are seasonal, says Howard Baron, MD, a pe...
How should I care for someone with encephalitis?
When caring for someone with encephalitis, remember to offer both emotional and physical support. En...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?