Because there are so many forms and varieties of viral infections, there is no one answer to how long the duration of the infection is. A common cold can last anywhere from four days to two weeks. The influenza virus usually lasts only a couple of days to a week. But infection with the HIV virus lasts for the rest of your life.
- Q What are viruses?
- Q What is coxsackievirus?
- Q How can I protect my children from viruses?
- Q How do other illnesses affect viral infections?
- Q Does light therapy help treat herpes simplex virus?
- Q What do I need to know about caring for someone with croup?