What infections should not be treated with antibiotics?

Antibiotics should not be used to treat viral infections. Antibiotics are only effective against bacterial infections. Where the confusion can lie is that antibiotics have no use against viral pathogens and viral illnesses. A lot of the common illnesses that people get that cause sore throats, ear pain, and coughs, wind up being caused by viruses. These illnesses will not be affected by antibiotics. Taking antibiotics in that scenario can cause some unintended consequences that a lot of people don't realize.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Viral infections that should not be treated with antibiotics include:

• colds
  • flu
  • most coughs and bronchitis
  • sore throats (except for those resulting from strep throat)
  • some ear infections

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Why You Should Be Paying Attention to West Nile Virus
During the sultry months of summer, mosquitos are usually just a nuisance when you spend time outdoors. But when they hold the potential to pass on se...
Can a blood test assess my progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy risk?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Because most adults encounter the JC virus (JCV), which causes progressive multifocal leukoencephalo...
How do I manage my yellow fever on a daily basis?
If you have a flu-like illness following travel to an area where yellow fever is known to occur, see...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?