Should I talk to my doctor about my German measles symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you've been exposed to German measles or have any of the characteristic symptoms, you should talk to your doctor. Although there is no cure for German measles, your doctor can advise you how to stay comfortable and how to avoid spreading it to others. Your doctor will watch for rare complications, which include joint pain and encephalitis. Because German measles can be especially dangerous to a developing fetus, your doctor should know if you're pregnant or trying to get pregnant. If so, your doctor may give you hyperimmune globulin, which consists of antibodies that can help fight the virus.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Why You Should Be Paying Attention to West Nile Virus
During the sultry months of summer, mosquitos are usually just a nuisance when you spend time outdoors. But when they hold the potential to pass on se...
What is a virus?
Viruses are tiny organisms that cause infection by getting into a person's or animal's cells and mul...
How are viral infections spread?
Viral infections can be spread in numerous ways. The fastest way is by contact with an infected pers...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?