Should I talk to my doctor about my German measles symptoms?

If you've been exposed to German measles or have any of the characteristic symptoms, you should talk to your doctor. Although there is no cure for German measles, your doctor can advise you how to stay comfortable and how to avoid spreading it to others. Your doctor will watch for rare complications, which include joint pain and encephalitis. Because German measles can be especially dangerous to a developing fetus, your doctor should know if you're pregnant or trying to get pregnant. If so, your doctor may give you hyperimmune globulin, which consists of antibodies that can help fight the virus.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral infections like herpes simplex, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), chicken pox and rotavirus are infections caused by a virus instead of a bacterium. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics, but some specific viruses ...

like influenza A and B can be treated with certain antiviral medications. Most commonly, treatment for viral infections includes drinking lots of fluids, getting rest, eating well and letting the illness run its course.