Should I talk to my doctor about my viral infection symptoms?

If you suspect you have a viral infection, you should always talk to your doctor about your symptoms, especially if they do not disappear after the usual period of time. Depending on what type of virus you have contracted, your doctor may be able to help alleviate some of your symptoms. If you have difficulty breathing, a rapid heart rate, any kind of swelling, a high fever, rash, or any other symptoms that concern you, you should contact your doctor immediately. Relaying any symptoms that appear serious will prompt your doctor to do further testing in an effort to determine the cause of the illness.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral infections like herpes simplex, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), chicken pox and rotavirus are infections caused by a virus instead of a bacterium. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics, but some specific viruses ...

like influenza A and B can be treated with certain antiviral medications. Most commonly, treatment for viral infections includes drinking lots of fluids, getting rest, eating well and letting the illness run its course.