Should I talk to my doctor about my polio symptoms?

It is important to talk to your doctor if you suspect you may have polio. It is highly contagious. Call your doctor if you are experiencing stiff neck, weak or pained limbs, slow reflexes, labored breathing, difficulty speaking or swallowing, or paralysis and you believe you have been exposed to polio.

If you have received the polio vaccine and have remained in developed areas, you most likely have not been infected with polio. However, if you have not been vaccinated and are experiencing symptoms, and have been in areas still affected by the virus, you should contact your doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral infections like herpes simplex, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), chicken pox and rotavirus are infections caused by a virus instead of a bacterium. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics, but some specific viruses ...

like influenza A and B can be treated with certain antiviral medications. Most commonly, treatment for viral infections includes drinking lots of fluids, getting rest, eating well and letting the illness run its course.