What are symptoms of yellow fever?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

It can take several days for the symptoms of yellow fever to appear, although some people never have symptoms. At first, a person may complain of fever, body aches, headache, and nausea or vomiting. These symptoms are common to many viral illnesses. While most people will improve after a few days, about 15 percent will experience a second, more severe phase after a brief, symptom-free period. In this toxic phase, fever recurs, abdominal pain worsens, and vital organs may fail. Liver failure causes jaundice, a condition in which the skin becomes yellow, as well as spontaneous bleeding and bruising. The kidneys and other organs may also fail. During an outbreak of yellow fever, between 20 and 50 percent of people with severe cases--meaning those suffering from shock and failure of the liver and kidneys--will die.

Symptoms of yellow fever generally include chills, fever, vomiting, headache, backache and muscle ache. The severity of symptoms typically ranges from mild to deadly. Severe infections can lead to shock, bleeding, liver and kidney failure. Liver failure results in jaundice, which causes a yellowing of the skin. That's where the illness gets its name.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Why You Should Be Paying Attention to West Nile Virus
During the sultry months of summer, mosquitos are usually just a nuisance when you spend time outdoors. But when they hold the potential to pass on se...
If I'm pregnant, how can I reduce my risk of getting Cytomegalovirus?
Pregnant women may want to take steps to reduce their risk of exposure to CMV and so reduce the risk...
5 Gross Ways You Can Catch Norovirus, aka the Winter Vomiting Bug
5 Gross Ways You Can Catch Norovirus, aka the Winter Vomiting Bug5 Gross Ways You Can Catch Norovirus, aka the Winter Vomiting Bug5 Gross Ways You Can Catch Norovirus, aka the Winter Vomiting Bug5 Gross Ways You Can Catch Norovirus, aka the Winter Vomiting Bug
It takes as little as 18 norovirus particles on your food to make you sick.
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?