Should I talk to my doctor about my yellow fever symptoms?

If you experience flu-like symptoms, particularly fever or yellow skin, upon returning from a trip to South America or Africa, you need to see your doctor. These areas are the ones most likely to expose you to yellow fever. The best time to speak with your healthcare provider, though, is prior to your visit to another country. This enables you to discuss vaccinations and other preventive measures that you can take to avoid illness. You should plan to visit your doctor or travel clinic at least two weeks prior to your trip in order to allow enough time for the yellow fever vaccine to provide immunity.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral infections like herpes simplex, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), chicken pox and rotavirus are infections caused by a virus instead of a bacterium. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics, but some specific viruses ...

like influenza A and B can be treated with certain antiviral medications. Most commonly, treatment for viral infections includes drinking lots of fluids, getting rest, eating well and letting the illness run its course.