If I'm pregnant, how can I reduce my risk of getting Cytomegalovirus?

Coleen  Boyle, PhD, MS
Public Health & General Preventive Medicine
Pregnant women may want to take steps to reduce their risk of exposure to CMV and so reduce the risk of CMV infection of their fetus. 

Here are a few simple steps you can take to avoid exposure to saliva and urine that might contain CMV:
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for 15-20 seconds,
          especially after changing diapers, feeding a young child,      
          wiping a young child’s nose or drool, and handling children’s
          toys.
  • Do not share food, drinks, or eating utensils used by young
          children 
  • Do not put a child’s pacifier in your mouth
  • Do not share a toothbrush with a young child
  • Avoid contact with saliva when kissing a child
  • Clean toys, countertops, and other surfaces that come into
          contact with children’s urine or saliva

The presence of the CDC logo and CDC content on this page should not be construed to imply endorsement by the US Government of any commercial products or services, or to replace the advice of a medical professional. The mark “CDC” is licensed under authority of the PHS.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral infections like herpes simplex, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), chicken pox and rotavirus are infections caused by a virus instead of a bacterium. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics, but some specific viruses ...

like influenza A and B can be treated with certain antiviral medications. Most commonly, treatment for viral infections includes drinking lots of fluids, getting rest, eating well and letting the illness run its course.