If I'm pregnant, how can I reduce my risk of getting Cytomegalovirus?

Pregnant women may want to take steps to reduce their risk of exposure to CMV and so reduce the risk of CMV infection of their fetus.

Here are a few simple steps you can take to avoid exposure to saliva and urine that might contain CMV:

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for 15-20 seconds, especially after changing diapers, feeding a young child, wiping a young child’s nose or drool and handling children’s toys.
  • Do not share food, drinks or eating utensils used by young children 
  • Do not put a child’s pacifier in your mouth
  • Do not share a toothbrush with a young child
  • Avoid contact with saliva when kissing a child
  • Clean toys, countertops and other surfaces that come into contact with children’s urine or saliva

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

What You Need to Know About Eastern Equine Encephalitis
From time to time, an illness called Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) pops up in the news. In July 2019, for instance, the Florida Department of Heal...
Can I get viral skin infections from pets?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Many infections caused by contact with pets, the environment around pets or pet waste are bacterial,...
What are the symptoms of encephalitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Talk to your doctor immediately if you are experiencing symptoms that may be an indication of enceph...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?