How does the human body fight against a virus?

Unlike bacteria, which multiply comfortably on their own given the right environment, viruses need to insert themselves into a host's cells in order to persevere. Once a virus has taken a human cell hostage, it continues to conquer cell after cell.

For the most part, a healthy immune system can derail these viral interlopers so they don't do too much damage. The virus is detected, a customized antibody is made and an all out attack is mounted by killer cells.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

What You Need to Know About Eastern Equine Encephalitis
From time to time, an illness called Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) pops up in the news. In July 2019, for instance, the Florida Department of Heal...
Should I have my tonsils removed if I keep getting viral throat infection?
For many years doctors recommended a tonsillectomy for recurring viral throat infection. This is a l...
Is yellow fever serious?
The severity of yellow fever depends on the case. Infection with the yellow fever virus may caus...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?