How does the human body fight against a virus?

Unlike bacteria, which multiply comfortably on their own given the right environment, viruses need to insert themselves into a host's cells in order to persevere. Once a virus has taken a human cell hostage, it continues to conquer cell after cell.

For the most part, a healthy immune system can derail these viral interlopers so they don't do too much damage. The virus is detected, a customized antibody is made and an all out attack is mounted by killer cells.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Cases of Rare Polio-like Illness on the Rise–Should You Be Worried?
Health officials are searching for clues that could help explain why there are increasing reports of children across the United States with a rare pol...
How can I treat ear pain caused by a viral infection?
For children and adults, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers, decongestants and saline nasal spray...
How can I prevent infection from noroviruses?
The best way to protect yourself against any infection is to wash your hands. This is especially imp...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?