How can I get West Nile virus?

Peter DeLucia
Health Education
You can get West Nile virus by being bitten by an infected mosquito; the virus is mainly asymptomatic, but some people can get seriously ill. In this video, public health specialist Peter DeLucia, MPA, explains the typical symptoms to be aware of. 
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology

You can get West Nile Virus from the mosquito bite of an infected mosquito. They become infected after biting an infected animal, usually a bird.

There are reports of small numbers of cases of West Nile being transmitted from blood transfusions and organ transplants. But these numbers are very, very small.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

What You Need to Know About Eastern Equine Encephalitis
From time to time, an illness called Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) pops up in the news. In July 2019, for instance, the Florida Department of Heal...
What is foot-and-mouth disease?
Foot-and-mouth disease, also called hoof-and-mouth disease, is a viral infection that affects animal...
Can I get viral skin infections from pets?
Many infections caused by contact with pets, the environment around pets or pet waste are bacterial,...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?