How can I treat ear pain caused by a viral infection?

For children and adults, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers, decongestants and saline nasal sprays may help relieve some symptoms of viral infections. Remember, always use over-the-counter products as directed. Many over-the-counter products are not recommended for children younger than certain ages.

For ear pain:

• Put a warm moist cloth over the ear that hurts.
  • Take acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen to relieve pain or fever (check what is safe to give your child).

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

What causes encephalitis?
A viral infection in the brain is the most common cause of encephalitis. Sometimes the viral infecti...
What is rotavirus?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Rotavirus is the most common cause of diarrhea in children in the United States. The most common age...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with a viral infection?
Caring for someone with a viral infection can vary depending on the type of virus. If it is a common...
How do I manage my viral infection on a daily basis?
Because there are many types of viral infections, there are many ways to manage them. Most viral inf...