How can I protect my children from viruses?

There are two major ways to protect your child from viruses.
  1. Effective hand-washing will reduce the number of illnesses your child gets. Clean hands make it very difficult for a virus to spread from person to person.
  2. Vaccinations reduce the chances of your child getting sick. Many of the rarest viruses are prevented by vaccination. Vaccination, like hand-washing, has been shown to help keep others in the house from getting a viral infection, too.
Howard I. Baron, MD
Pediatric Gastroenterology
You can protect your children from viruses by teaching good hand washing, says Howard Baron, MD, a pediatric gastroenterologist at Sunrise Hospital. In this video, he describes a variety of virus-protecting strategies for parents. 

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Why You Should Be Paying Attention to West Nile Virus
During the sultry months of summer, mosquitos are usually just a nuisance when you spend time outdoors. But when they hold the potential to pass on se...
What is a virus?
Viruses are tiny organisms that cause infection by getting into a person's or animal's cells and mul...
How does flaccid paralysis relate to West Nile virus?
Flaccid paralysis has been associated with the West Nile virus. West Nile virus, in unusual cases, c...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?