How does molluscum contagiosum affect the body?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The virus that causes molluscum contagiosum can enter the body through tiny breaks in the skin. Once inside the body, the virus begins to grow, resulting in the small, raised bumps on the skin. In most people, the papules disappear without treatment within 6 to 12 months, although the virus may not die off entirely in the body for four years.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

What You Need to Know About Eastern Equine Encephalitis
From time to time, an illness called Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) pops up in the news. In July 2019, for instance, the Florida Department of Heal...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with croup?
In most cases, croup lasts less than a week and is mild enough to be treated at home. Be aware that ...
How can I treat sinus pain caused by a viral infection?
For children and adults, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers, decongestants and saline nasal spray...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?