How do I mange my polio on a daily basis?

If you are affected with the paralytic strain of polio, daily management may be necessary because it is uncertain how long the symptoms you are experiencing will persist. The best course of action is to reduce the stress to your body. If the virus has caused paralysis, a wheelchair or walker may help you in getting around on a daily basis. If the infection makes breathing difficult, a ventilator may help by making it easier for your lungs to work. Pain medication may be needed if your symptoms cause you stress and discomfort. Resting, by taking naps and getting a good night sleep, may help your body's natural immunities fight the infection. Also, because polio can cause your muscles to become weak and deformed, exercise and physical therapy are good ways to keep the infection from permanently damaging the muscle tissue-this is as long as it does not strain you too much to do so.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral infections like herpes simplex, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), chicken pox and rotavirus are infections caused by a virus instead of a bacterium. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics, but some specific viruses ...

like influenza A and B can be treated with certain antiviral medications. Most commonly, treatment for viral infections includes drinking lots of fluids, getting rest, eating well and letting the illness run its course.