How can Japanese encephalitis be prevented?

Japanese encephalitis (JE) can be prevented with the Japanese encephalitis vaccine (IXIARO). This disease is spread by mosquitoes carrying the virus that causes it and is not contagious. It mainly occurs in rural Asia, so people living or traveling there for long periods are at greatest risk for contracting JE.

The JE vaccine works by helping the body produce antibodies to the Japanese encephalitis virus, but it's not 100% effective. If you're traveling to an area where the virus is present, you can protect yourself from exposure to the virus by:
  • staying inside well-screened areas
  • wearing clothes that cover as much skin as possible (long sleeves, long pants, etc.)
  • using an effective insect repellent on your skin
  • applying permethrin to your clothing or wearing permethrin-treated clothing and gear (be sure that permethrin does not come into direct contact with your skin)

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Why You Should Be Paying Attention to West Nile Virus
During the sultry months of summer, mosquitos are usually just a nuisance when you spend time outdoors. But when they hold the potential to pass on se...
What are the costs of viral infections?
Several years ago, the costs of healthcare related to viral infections was at a whopping 120 billion...
Should I have my tonsils removed if I keep getting viral throat infection?
For many years doctors recommended a tonsillectomy for recurring viral throat infection. This is a l...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?