How do medications treat encephalitis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Serious cases of viral encephalitis are often treated with antiviral drugs, but some cases do not respond to these medications. Antibiotics are used to treat cases caused by bacterial infections. Drugs are also used to boost the immune system in HIV related cases. Symptoms of encephalitis, such as pain, fever and seizures, may be treated using medications.

Infectious encephalitis is treated by getting rid of the germs that caused it. There are different medicines for different germs. If the person has seizures, there are medicines for those, too. Medicines for autoimmune encephalitis help reduce the inflammation by stopping the immune system from attacking the brain.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

If I'm pregnant, how can I reduce my risk of getting Cytomegalovirus?
Pregnant women may want to take steps to reduce their risk of exposure to CMV and so reduce the risk...
How is encephalitis diagnosed?
Encephalitis may be diagnosed using a variety of methods. A spinal tap is a common procedure used to...
What are viruses?
Much smaller than bacteria, viruses are not independent organisms; they need one of your body's cell...
What is encephalitis?
Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain, caused by a virus or bacteria. Symptoms depend on the cau...