How common are viral skin infections?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
There are different types of viral skin infections, and some are more common than others. Some very common types of viral skin infections include warts, herpes virus infections, and molluscum contagiosum. In fact, most people - 85 percent of the general population - have antibodies to the type 1 herpes virus, which means that 85 percent of people have been exposed to this virus. Shingles, which is caused by the herpes zoster virus, affects between 10 to 20 percent of adults. About 10 percent of people have warts of different types.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

What You Need to Know About Eastern Equine Encephalitis
From time to time, an illness called Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) pops up in the news. In July 2019, for instance, the Florida Department of Heal...
Should I have my tonsils removed if I keep getting viral throat infection?
For many years doctors recommended a tonsillectomy for recurring viral throat infection. This is a l...
How do other illnesses affect viral infections?
Other illnesses such as heart problems or diabetes can cause the symptoms of a viral infection to be...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?