How can I or my child get mononucleosis?

Mononucleosis (mono) is a virus that is spread through saliva. This is why it's commonly known as "the kissing disease." If you or someone you know has mono, it's best to avoid sharing glasses or drinks and using the same eating utensils. Remember to cover your mouth with the crook of your arm for a cough or sneeze. And don't forget to hold off on that kiss!

Mononucleosis (mono) is an illness caused by a virus and has been called “the kissing disease.” It received this name because of one of the ways it is spread. It can be spread not only by kissing but also from drinking fountains, glasses, sneezing and coughing. Children of all ages and adults can get mono, and symptoms can last for two to three weeks. Most children with mono develop a rash if they take ampicillin or amoxicillin, so these antibiotics should not be given.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral infections like herpes simplex, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), chicken pox and rotavirus are infections caused by a virus instead of a bacterium. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics, but some specific viruses ...

like influenza A and B can be treated with certain antiviral medications. Most commonly, treatment for viral infections includes drinking lots of fluids, getting rest, eating well and letting the illness run its course.