Are there cures for viral skin infections?

There are no cures for viral skin infections, and some infections can reoccur. For example, different types of the herpes virus, which can cause cold sores and genital herpes, stays in specific body nerves. Warts, caused by the human papilloma virus, can be difficult to treat and may recur. Although the herpes zoster virus stays in the body, shingles usually does not recur and may be prevented by a vaccine.Molluscum contagiosum infection usually goes away on its own (if the person's immune system is not compromised) and does not return. Treatment is not always needed for viral skin infections, but, when necessary, treatment may include taking antiviral drugs and treating the symptoms of the infection.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Cases of Rare Polio-like Illness on the Rise–Should You Be Worried?
Health officials are searching for clues that could help explain why there are increasing reports of children across the United States with a rare pol...
What are the costs of viral infections?
Several years ago, the costs of healthcare related to viral infections was at a whopping 120 billion...
Should I have my tonsils removed if I keep getting viral throat infection?
For many years doctors recommended a tonsillectomy for recurring viral throat infection. This is a l...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?