What are the characteristics of Herpes Zoster Oticus?

If you have herpes zoster oticus, you may develop any of the following symptoms:
  • severe ear pain
  • a rash on the skin around the ears, mouth, face, or neck, or on your scalp
  • paralyzed nerves in the face
  • hearing loss
  • dizziness or lightheadedness
  • ringing in your ears
See your doctor promptly if you develop these symptoms, and talk with him or her about the causes and treatment of herpes zoster oticus. 

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

How should I care for someone with encephalitis?
When caring for someone with encephalitis, remember to offer both emotional and physical support. En...
What are the costs of viral infections?
Several years ago, the costs of healthcare related to viral infections was at a whopping 120 billion...
Is yellow fever serious?
The severity of yellow fever depends on the case. Infection with the yellow fever virus may caus...
Are certain viruses seasonal?
Howard I. Baron, MDHoward I. Baron, MD
Certain viruses that cause children gastrointestinal upset are seasonal, says Howard Baron, MD, a pe...