Can post-polio syndrome (PPS) be prevented?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Presently, no intervention has been found to stop the deterioration of surviving neurons in post-polio syndrome (PPS). But physicians recommend that polio survivors get the proper amount of sleep, maintain a well-balanced diet, avoid unhealthy habits such as smoking and overeating, and follow an exercise program. Proper lifestyle changes, the use of assistive devices, and the use of certain anti-inflammatory medications may help reduce some of the symptoms of PPS.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

What You Need to Know About Eastern Equine Encephalitis
From time to time, an illness called Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) pops up in the news. In July 2019, for instance, the Florida Department of Heal...
Should I have my tonsils removed if I keep getting viral throat infection?
For many years doctors recommended a tonsillectomy for recurring viral throat infection. This is a l...
How can I protect my children from viruses?
There are two major ways to protect your child from viruses. Effective hand-washing will reduce ...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?