Where do the bacteria in Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning live?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The germ that causes Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning (Vibrio vulnificus) is a bacterium normally found in warm seawater. It is free-living, which means it does not need another organism in order to survive. The bacterium is taken into oysters and other shellfish when they feed, where it begins to reproduce into large numbers. If the oysters are eaten raw, the bacteria enter the body and cause the disease known as Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning.

Continue Learning about Vibrio Vulnificus Food Poisoning

What is Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?
Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning is a food-borne illness caused by the bacterium for which it is nam...
How can I manage my Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning on a daily basis?
Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning is a serious disease that will likely require hospitalization. Ther...
What are the treatment options for Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?
It is important to quickly treat Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning with one or more appropriate antib...
Is there a cure for Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?
Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning can be successfully treated with antibiotics, especially if the tre...