Where do the bacteria in Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning live?

The germ that causes Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning (Vibrio vulnificus) is a bacterium normally found in warm seawater. It is free-living, which means it does not need another organism in order to survive. The bacterium is taken into oysters and other shellfish when they feed, where it begins to reproduce into large numbers. If the oysters are eaten raw, the bacteria enter the body and cause the disease known as Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning.

Continue Learning about Vibrio Vulnificus Food Poisoning

What is the rate of incidence for Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?
In the United States, Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning usually occurs in the Gulf States. Even here,...
Should I talk to my doctor about my Vibrio vulnificus symptoms?
Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning is a potentially life-threatening condition, and it is important to...
How do medications treat Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?
Antibiotics used in Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning treat the illness by killing the bacteria that ...
Are there alternative treatments for Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?
Phages are viruses that infect bacteria and often cause them to burst and die. Their use as alternat...