What increases my risk for Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?

Consumption of raw or undercooked seafood such as oysters, clams, shrimp, and fish increase the risk of Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning, especially if the consumption occurs during warm summer months. Increased risk is also caused by chronic diseases (i.e. AIDS, cirrhosis, hepatitis, cancer) or treatments (i.e. chemotherapy, steroid treatment) that result in decreased function of the liver, kidney, or immune system. Low levels of acid in the stomach can also increase the risk of contracting Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning.

Continue Learning about Vibrio Vulnificus Food Poisoning

How do medications treat Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?
Antibiotics used in Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning treat the illness by killing the bacteria that ...
Can Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning be prevented?
The bacterium that causes Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning grows in warm seawater and infects animal...
How do I care for someone with Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?
Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning is treated with antibiotics and fluid replacement. It may be necess...
What are the treatment options for Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?
It is important to quickly treat Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning with one or more appropriate antib...