What increases my risk for Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?

Consumption of raw or undercooked seafood such as oysters, clams, shrimp, and fish increase the risk of Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning, especially if the consumption occurs during warm summer months. Increased risk is also caused by chronic diseases (i.e. AIDS, cirrhosis, hepatitis, cancer) or treatments (i.e. chemotherapy, steroid treatment) that result in decreased function of the liver, kidney, or immune system. Low levels of acid in the stomach can also increase the risk of contracting Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning.

Continue Learning about Vibrio Vulnificus Food Poisoning