How do other illnesses affect Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?

Having certain other diseases affects the likelihood of contracting Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning, as well as the severity of the disease. Especially important are diseases that decrease liver function, such as cirrhosis and hepatitis. Also important are diseases that decrease kidney function, such as diabetes, and also those that affect the immune system, such as AIDS. High levels of iron in the blood also put people at higher risk for Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning. All of these conditions also increase the likelihood of experiencing serious complications during the illness.

Continue Learning about Vibrio Vulnificus Food Poisoning

What is the rate of incidence for Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?
In the United States, Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning usually occurs in the Gulf States. Even here,...
How do I care for someone with Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?
Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning is treated with antibiotics and fluid replacement. It may be necess...
Can I get Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning symptoms without eating?
The germ that causes Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning (Vibrio vulnificus) is a bacterium that normal...
What increases my risk for Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?
Consumption of raw or undercooked seafood such as oysters, clams, shrimp, and fish increase the risk...