What does vestibular dysfunction tell me about my inner ear?

If you have vestibular dysfunction, it means there is a problem in your inner ear. Just behind your eardrum, there is a part of the structure of your inner ear called the vestibular system. It helps your body process the effects of gravity and motion. It is made up of two sections: the semicircular canals and the otolithic organs. The three semicircular canals are filled with fluid and transfer signals to the brain when the head moves. The two otolithic organs, called the utricle and the saccule, are also filled with fluid. They transfer signals to the brain when we move our body and also help the brain determine the position of the head. When there is a problem in your vestibular system, your brain may not be able to register gravity and motion properly.

Continue Learning about Vestibular Dysfunction

Is dizziness a sign of vestibular dysfunction?
Dizziness is one of the most common symptoms of vestibular dysfunction, so if you get dizzy, it's po...
Can vestibular dysfunction be prevented?
In general, there is not much you can do to prevent vestibular dysfunction. You can, however, take s...
What causes vestibular dysfunction?
Vestibular dysfunction can be caused by a variety of issues that affect the inner ear. For example, ...
What should I know about caring for someone with vestibular dysfunction?
Being dizzy, losing your balance, or experiencing vertigo can be very scary. When caring for someone...