Should I talk to my doctor about my vestibular dysfunction symptoms?

You should talk to your doctor if you are experiencing dizziness, vertigo, or other common symptoms of vestibular dysfunction, such as loss of balance, lightheadedness, vision problems, hearing loss, and nausea. Although inner-ear disorders themselves are usually not serious, it is important to rule out other, more serious causes of these symptoms. If your symptoms are a sign that you have an inner-ear disorder, your doctor can advise you on ways to decrease the severity of your symptoms. Some of these methods may include specific exercises, changes to your diet, and other lifestyle changes.

Continue Learning about Vestibular Dysfunction

Vestibular Dysfunction

The vestibular system, which includes parts of the inner ear and brain, helps you balance and move your eyes. When things go wrong with this system - because of injury, disease, or aging - vestibular dysfunction occurs.If you suff...

er from vestibular dysfunction, you may feel dizzy or off balance, have tinnitus (ringing in your ears), and even have trouble reading or doing arithmetic. People may mistake your symptoms and think you are lazy, nervous, or don't pay attention. For some, just describing symptoms is scary. For others, getting out of bed in the morning is difficult. Sometimes, going about your day is nearly impossible. Vestibular dysfunction can lead to other problems, such as short-term memory lapses, confusion, low self-esteem and self-confidence, anxiety or panic attacks, and depression. Motion sickness, nausea or vomiting, ear pain, and headaches are some other side effects. Vestibular dysfunction can be treated in a variety of ways.