How does vestibular dysfunction affect older people?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Although older adults with vestibular dysfunction are likely to experience the same symptoms as everyone else, they are at increased risk for falls due to dizziness or balance problems. Other common aspects of aging, such as reduced muscle strength or other mobility issues, can contribute to this risk. Some of these falls can be serious, leading to injury or death. Almost 10 percent of people over 65 years of age will experience vestibular disorders that require medical attention. Also, some doctors think that our risk for the most common type of vestibular dysfunction, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), increases as we age.

Continue Learning about Vestibular Dysfunction

How common is vestibular dysfunction?
Dizziness is the most common symptom of vestibular dysfunction, and millions of people in the United...
What does vestibular dysfunction tell me about my inner ear?
If you have vestibular dysfunction, it means there is a problem in your inner ear. Just behind your ...
How many people suffer from vestibular dysfunction?
Though the exact number of people with vestibular dysfunction is not known, dizziness is one of the ...
Is dizziness a sign of vestibular dysfunction?
Dizziness is one of the most common symptoms of vestibular dysfunction, so if you get dizzy, it's po...