How is peripheral vertigo and dizziness diagnosed?

The first step in diagnosing peripheral vertigo and dizziness is a physical examination. You doctor will examine your inner ears, eyes, and how the eyes move. During the examination, your doctor may also move your head in positions to induce your vertigo or dizziness in order to observe your eye movements and balance. They may test your coordination and hearing, too. In some cases, your doctor may use blood tests, MRIs, CT scans, or EEG tests (record electrical activity in the brain) to further diagnose the cause of your vertigo.

Continue Learning about Vertigo & Dizziness Diagnosis

Why would I need a tilt table test?
SCAISCAI
There are several reasons that you might be prone to lightheadedness or fainting, and your doctor ne...
How are objective vertigo and dizziness diagnosed?
The first step in diagnosing objective vertigo and dizziness is a physical examination. You doctor w...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my vertigo and dizziness?
To help prepare for your doctor's appointment for vertigo and dizziness, prepare a list of specific ...
What is a tilt test?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Syncope is the temporary loss of consciousness sometimes called fainting or 'passing out'. It is a c...