What is vertigo?

Vertigo is the sensation that you, your surroundings, or both are spinning. Dizziness can cause symptoms of vertigo, lightheadedness, faintness, or unsteadiness. Vertigo and dizziness are often easily diagnosed and treated. Most cases of vertigo and dizziness are linked to balance disorders originating in the inner ears.
Vertigo is a specific kind of dizziness. It is more than feeling lightheaded or unsteady. When you have vertigo, you may have an alarming sense that you are spinning, even when you are actually holding still.

Vertigo is not an illness itself. It's a symptom of another problem. The problem is most often in your inner ear, but it may be in your brain. Most of these problems are harmless and get better, but some can be life-threatening.
Vertigo is the sensation of movement, a feeling that “the room is spinning” or conversely a sensation of turning or moving when remaining still. The symptom usually has an abrupt onset and may be accompanied by nausea and difficulty walking. Head turning may aggravate the sensation and lying still helps relieve it. Vertigo stems from an inner ear problem affecting the balance mechanism that helps us stay upright. It usually resolves without treatment and within a few days.

Continue Learning about Vertigo & Dizziness

What is subjective vertigo and dizziness?
Subjective vertigo causes sensations that you are spinning. Dizziness is an overall feeling of light...
Should I talk to my doctor about my vertigo and dizziness?
If you or your child has symptoms of vertigo and dizziness, you should talk to your doctor. It's esp...
What causes physical instability?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The type of dizziness called instability may have multiple causes and is often due to neurological d...
What is central vertigo and dizziness?
Vertigo is the sensation that you, your surroundings, or both are spinning. Central vertigo is a for...