Are there different types of vertigo?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

There are two main types of vertigo: peripheral vertigo and central vertigo. Peripheral vertigo is caused by inner ear disorders that affect the parts of the inner ear responsible for balance and perceiving motion. Central vertigo describes cases of vertigo that are linked to disorders and diseases that affect the brain or brain stem.

Continue Learning about Vertigo & Dizziness

What is central vertigo and dizziness?
Vertigo is the sensation that you, your surroundings, or both are spinning. Central vertigo is a for...
What is vertigo?
Vertigo is the sensation that you, your surroundings, or both are spinning. Dizziness can cause sym...
What is peripheral vertigo and dizziness?
Vertigo is the sensation that you, your surroundings, or both are spinning. Peripheral vertigo is a ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my vertigo and dizziness?
If you or your child has symptoms of vertigo and dizziness, you should talk to your doctor. It's esp...