What causes verrucous carcinoma?

The exact cause of verrucous carcinoma is unknown. However, it's thought that the DNA that controls cell growth is damaged somehow, leading to an overgrowth of cells that forms a tumor. One suspected source of this DNA damage is certain types of the human papillomavirus. Other factors, such as smoking and chewing tobacco, may also be related to the cause of this cancer.

Continue Learning about Verrucous Carcinoma

How do I manage my verrucous carcinoma on a daily basis?
Managing your verrucous carcinoma on a daily basis begins with treatment. Treatment often involves s...
How is verrucous carcinoma diagnosed?
The first step in diagnosing verrucous carcinoma is usually a physical exam that includes a review o...
How does verrucous carcinoma affect the body?
Verrucous carcinoma begins in certain cells in the skin or mucous membranes. When these cells grow o...
Can verrucous carcinoma be prevented?
Because so little is known about the causes of verrucous carcinoma, there's not much you can do to p...