What should I know before I try vegetarianism?

Lucette Talamas, RD
Before becoming a vegetarian, consider the following:

Self-reflect. How will this affect your overall lifestyle? Is vegetarianism a lifestyle you can stick to? What is your main reason for choosing to become a vegetarian? How will your family and friends react, such as when you have food-related gatherings? 

Choose. Decide what type of vegetarian lifestyle you will follow. In general, vegetarian diet does not include meat, poultry or seafood or products containing these foods. There are 3 main kinds of vegetarians:
  • Lacto-ovovegetarian: eliminating meat, poultry, and fish but including eggs and dairy products
  • Lactovegetarian: eliminating meat, poultry, fish, and eggs but including dairy products
  • Total vegetarian (also known as vegan): eliminating all meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products
Other forms of vegetarian lifestyles exist but may not be as well known are:
  • Flexitarian: a "semi-vegetarian" diet that focuses on a vegetarian diet but occasionally includes meat, poultry, or fish
  • Pescitarian: eliminating meat and poultry but including fish and other seafood
Plan. The more foods and food groups (i.e. dairy, animal protein) you eliminate, the more limited your diet will be to certain nutrients. A macronutrient that is often limited in a vegetarian diet is protein. Common micronutrients that may be limited in a vegetarian diet include calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12, zinc, iron and omega-3 fatty acids. To avoid a nutrient deficiency and complete a healthy vegetarian eating pattern, plan to include vegetarian food sources that naturally contain these nutrients. In some cases, supplements or fortified food products would be needed to fill in any nutrient gaps.

Are you ready to follow a vegetarian lifestyle but need guidance? A registered dietitian can help you navigate through this lifestyle change in order to follow a nutritious eating plan.
Vandana  R. Sheth

It is important to understand the basics of a healthy vegetarian diet to ensure that you are meeting all of your nutritional needs. Consulting with a registered dietitian specializing in vegetarian nutrition would be a good start.

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

5 Things That Happen to Your Body When You Stop Eating Meat
By now, you’ve probably heard the hype (and the truth) surrounding the health benefits of eating less meat. It’s true that vegans, those who don’t eat...
How can a vegetarian diet affect my health?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
A plant-based diet can be rich in high-fiber whole grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, and nuts and...
What should my child eat if she becomes vegetarian?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
A vegetarian diet follows the same nutritional guidelines as one that includes animal products. The ...
What Are Some Good Sources of Plant Proteins?