Are vegetarian diets for teens healthy or dangerous?

Vandana  R. Sheth

Vegetarian diets that are well-balanced and nutritionally varied can be healthy for teens. This said, it is important that they have the knowledge and education to appropriately plan their meals/snacks to adequately meet their nutritional needs. Consulting a registered dietitian specializing in vegetarian diets can be very helpful.

I have been a vegetarian since I was 12 and never had an issue. I do not see how this could be dangerous as it is entirely possible to be healthy and grow without eating meat.
Dr. Lydie Hazan talks about healthy, vegetarian diets for teens. Watch this video from Discovery Health.

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

Vegetarian Diets

When you look at vegetarian diets, it's hard to do so without understanding that many of the practitioners believe that it is not only healthful, but more to practice vegetarianism. This is true even if the diet may include occasi...

onal meats or fish as in the Macrobiotic diet with it's Zen beliefs, or the Indian Ayurvedic diet, which finds milk and dairy central to good health along with plants. Anyone considering a vegetarian diet should learn about the food values of different vegetables, and consider getting advice on whether or not to supplement the diet with vitamins and minerals, particularly if you have special nutritional needs like growing children or pregnant or lactating women.