Are vegetarian diets for teens healthy or dangerous?

Dr. Lydie Hazan talks about healthy, vegetarian diets for teens. Watch this video from Discovery Health.

I have been a vegetarian since I was 12 and never had an issue. I do not see how this could be dangerous as it is entirely possible to be healthy and grow without eating meat.
Vandana  R. Sheth

Vegetarian diets that are well-balanced and nutritionally varied can be healthy for teens. This said, it is important that they have the knowledge and education to appropriately plan their meals/snacks to adequately meet their nutritional needs. Consulting a registered dietitian specializing in vegetarian diets can be very helpful.

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

Where to Find the Best Plant-Based Proteins
You don’t have to be a vegetarian (over 7 million folks in America are) to want to increase your intake of plant-based protein. But, it’s a great idea...
Can a vegetarian diet affect my son's growth?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
We all need to have the right amount of calories and a good balance of nutrients to grow normally. Y...
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
Better digestion, lower heart disease risks and other surprising reasons to eat more fruits and veggies.
What Do You Tell Vegans and Vegetarians About Eating Healthy?