How can a vegetarian diet affect my health?

A plant-based diet can be rich in high-fiber whole grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, and nuts and thus naturally lower in saturated fat and cholesterol. This type of diet contains the fundamentals for reducing the risk of the following diseases and conditions:

• Heart disease
  • High blood pressure
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Certain types of cancer (prostate, colon)
  • Obesity
Vandana  R. Sheth
A nutritionally balanced vegetarian diet can be very beneficial. According to the Physicians Committee on Responsible Medicine (PCRM), vegetarians enjoy a reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes, and some types of cancer. Since eating habits are set in early childhood, choosing a vegetarian diet can give your child the opportunity to enjoy a variety of nutritious foods -- and to carry those healthy eating habits into adulthood.

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

What Do You Tell Vegans and Vegetarians About Eating Healthy?
What Are Common Types of Vegetarian Diets?
What Are Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Vegetarians and Vegans with Diabetes?
Why Am I Gaining Weight on a Vegetarian Diet?