How can a vegetarian diet affect my health?

A vegetarian diet can affect you in a good or bad way. You probably need to be a bit more conscious as to what nutrition you are getting and from where. I have been a vegetarian for so long I am used to it. I make sure to take my vitamins every day. I get my protein from beans, protein drinks, cheese, soy milk, etc. Carbohydrates are not really an issue because I like my pasta. ;-)
Vandana  R. Sheth
A nutritionally balanced vegetarian diet can be very beneficial. According to the Physicians Committee on Responsible Medicine (PCRM), vegetarians enjoy a reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes, and some types of cancer. Since eating habits are set in early childhood, choosing a vegetarian diet can give your child the opportunity to enjoy a variety of nutritious foods -- and to carry those healthy eating habits into adulthood.

A plant-based diet can be rich in high-fiber whole grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, and nuts and thus naturally lower in saturated fat and cholesterol. This type of diet contains the fundamentals for reducing the risk of the following diseases and conditions:

• Heart disease
  • High blood pressure
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Certain types of cancer (prostate, colon)
  • Obesity

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

5 Things That Happen to Your Body When You Stop Eating Meat
By now, you’ve probably heard the hype (and the truth) surrounding the health benefits of eating less meat. It’s true that vegans, those who don’t eat...
What are the possible benefits of a vegetarian diet?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, NDDr. Michael T. Murray, ND
A vegetarian diet is often promoted as the most beneficial diet and has been advocated by philosophe...
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
Better digestion, lower heart disease risks and other surprising reasons to eat more fruits and veggies.
How to Make Thanksgiving Lasagna
How to Make Thanksgiving Lasagna