How can a vegetarian diet affect my health?

A plant-based diet can be rich in high-fiber whole grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, and nuts and thus naturally lower in saturated fat and cholesterol. This type of diet contains the fundamentals for reducing the risk of the following diseases and conditions:

• Heart disease
  • High blood pressure
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Certain types of cancer (prostate, colon)
  • Obesity
Vandana  R. Sheth
A nutritionally balanced vegetarian diet can be very beneficial. According to the Physicians Committee on Responsible Medicine (PCRM), vegetarians enjoy a reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes, and some types of cancer. Since eating habits are set in early childhood, choosing a vegetarian diet can give your child the opportunity to enjoy a variety of nutritious foods -- and to carry those healthy eating habits into adulthood.
A vegetarian diet can affect you in a good or bad way. You probably need to be a bit more conscious as to what nutrition you are getting and from where. I have been a vegetarian for so long I am used to it. I make sure to take my vitamins every day. I get my protein from beans, protein drinks, cheese, soy milk, etc. Carbohydrates are not really an issue because I like my pasta. ;-)

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

Vegetarian Diets

When you look at vegetarian diets, it's hard to do so without understanding that many of the practitioners believe that it is not only healthful, but more to practice vegetarianism. This is true even if the diet may include occasi...

onal meats or fish as in the Macrobiotic diet with it's Zen beliefs, or the Indian Ayurvedic diet, which finds milk and dairy central to good health along with plants. Anyone considering a vegetarian diet should learn about the food values of different vegetables, and consider getting advice on whether or not to supplement the diet with vitamins and minerals, particularly if you have special nutritional needs like growing children or pregnant or lactating women.