As a vegetarian, how can I control my carbohydrate intake?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
When it comes to carbohydrates and vegetarians, its good to know what counts as a carb so we don't end up overdoing the carb intake compared to the protein and healthy fats (remember we want a balance at each eating occasion). So, split up the carbs between eating occasions -- if you eat beans, do so with guacamole and salsa and some melted cheese vs. beans and a tortilla or rice. If you have a veggie burger, serve it without the bun and with some baked zucchini "fries." If you serve a tortilla, spread some nut butter on top and a few slices of fruit.
Vandana  R. Sheth

A vegetarian diet is typically carb-rich. This said, it is possible to control your carbohydrate intake. Enjoy more colorful vegetables and fruits, along with heart-healthy nuts, seeds while monitoring your intake of whole grains, beans, lentils, and starchy vegetables.

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

5 Things That Happen to Your Body When You Stop Eating Meat
By now, you’ve probably heard the hype (and the truth) surrounding the health benefits of eating less meat. It’s true that vegans, those who don’t eat...
How can I eat healthy as a vegetarian?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
If you are considering a vegetarian eating plan, here are some nutritional guidelines: Eat a var...
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
Better digestion, lower heart disease risks and other surprising reasons to eat more fruits and veggies.
What Do You Tell Vegans and Vegetarians About Eating Healthy?