Should I become a vegetarian?

People decide to be vegetarian for a wide number of reasons -- for health reasons, animal welfare, and environmental concerns among others. Research shows that vegetarian diets are generally lower in saturated fat -- the kind that is bad for your heart -- and for this reason may be healthier. For those concerned about the treatment of animals, animal handling by the food industry may be troublesome. Lately, there has been a lot if information about the environmental “cost” of producing animal foods which leaves some people concerned. Vegetarianism is usually a very personal choice. 
Yogi Cameron Alborzian
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Though different people follow a vegetarian diet for different reasons, all who endeavor to do so will enjoy significant health benefits. Animal proteins like beef, pork, and poultry are particularly dense foodstuffs with very little water content. To process such density, the body must tap into significant digestive power.  

To rally this power, the body must tap into resources it would otherwise commit to sustaining other systems of the body like the immune and nervous systems. As a result of this reallocation of resources, those other systems become compromised in their functionality and may cause the onset of illness or disease. This is why heavy meat-eaters will often find themselves getting sick.

In contrast, a proper vegetarian diet consisting of the natural food groups (vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, etc.) is far easier to digest and therefore protect's the body's overall health and vitality.
Becoming a vegetarian is your choice. I do believe it is healthier for you as I have been a vegetarian for over 15 years now and will never go back. You can still get your protein from other sources as I do like meal replacements, etc. which I do enjoy. People become vegetarians for many reasons such as to lose weight, lower cholesterol, get healthy, ethical reasons, etc. It is up to you.
Vandana  R. Sheth
Becoming a vegetarian is a very personal decision. There are many reasons for following a vegetarian diet. There are significant positive health and environmental benefits. However, the key is to ensure that the vegetarian diet is well-planned and nutritionally varied to adequately meet your nutritional needs. A registered dietitian specializing in vegetarian diets can be very helpful.

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

5 Things That Happen to Your Body When You Stop Eating Meat
By now, you’ve probably heard the hype (and the truth) surrounding the health benefits of eating less meat. It’s true that vegans, those who don’t eat...
What are some meal options for someone on a plant-based diet?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Following are some meal options for someone on a plant-based diet: Breakfast: whole-grain cerea...
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
Better digestion, lower heart disease risks and other surprising reasons to eat more fruits and veggies.
A Dessert With a Boost of Protein
A Dessert With a Boost of Protein