Is vegetarianism healthy for teens?

A vegetarian diet can be exceptionally healthy, but it requires planning and thought. For example, if you eat potato chips and coca-cola, that’s vegetarian, but not healthy! The term “vegetarian” can mean a number of different things from someone who eats no animal products at all (vegan) to someone who eats dairy and eggs (lacto-ovo vegetarian) to someone that includes fish as the only animal product in their diet (pescatarian), and other types as well. According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, "well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence.” They key words here are “well planned.” People that do not eat animal products must get certain nutrients in which animal products are rich (i.e. protein, iron, zinc, B12, and calcium) from other sources.
Vandana  R. Sheth

Yes, vegetarianism can be healthy for people of all stages of life including teenagers. The key is to ensure that it is a well-planned, nutritionally varied and balanced diet. A registered dietitian specializing in vegetarian diets would be a valuable resource.

Although a vegetarian diet lacks in some necessary nutrients found in meat, poultry, and fish, it is still healthy for teens because there are other means of acquiring those substances essential for proper growth and body functions. Teens often choose to become vegetarians because of religious/cultural beliefs, personal decisions, diet/health concerns, animal rights, food likes/dislikes, etc.

There are many health benefits for vegetarians (if they eat responsibly). These include decreased risk for heart disease and some types of cancer, lower blood pressure, lower chance of diabetes, and a lower likelihood of being overweight.

Vegetarians have to eat enough foods containing protein, calcium, iron, vitamin B12, and vitamin D. Vegetarian foods that have protein are beans, nuts, lentils, tofu, and soy products. Foods high in iron are dried beans, spinach, beet greens, prunes, and iron-containing cereals and bread. Foods high in vitamin C include citrus juices and fruit. Milk, leafy greens, broccoli, tofu, beans, and soy products are important calcium-containing vegetarian foods. Vitamin B12 can be procured in egg and milk products, as well as in multivitamin supplements. Vitamin D in multivitamins and some brands of milk help the body use calcium.

If teens make the right decisions in what they eat, vegetarianism can be healthy. 

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

Where to Find the Best Plant-Based Proteins
You don’t have to be a vegetarian (over 7 million folks in America are) to want to increase your intake of plant-based protein. But, it’s a great idea...
What are some healthy vegetarian meals?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
A healthy vegetarian meal is one that includes whole grains, fruits, vegetables and a good quality v...
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
Better digestion, lower heart disease risks and other surprising reasons to eat more fruits and veggies.
How Do I Get Enough Protein If I Am a Vegetarian?