How can I eat healthy as a vegetarian?

If you are considering a vegetarian eating plan, here are some nutritional guidelines:
  • Eat a variety of foods, including whole grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, seeds and dairy products and eggs.
  • Eat whole, unrefined foods often and minimize intake of highly sweetened, fatty and heavily refined foods.
  • Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables.
  • High-fat dairy foods like cheese and eggs should be limited because of their saturated fat content and because they can displace plant foods.
  • Vegans should have a regular source of vitamin B12 in their diets along with a source of vitamin D if sun exposure is limited.
  • Infants who are exclusively breast fed should have supplements of iron after 4 to 6 months and, if sun exposure is limited, a source of vitamin D. Breast-fed vegan infants should receive vitamin B12 supplements if the mother's diet is not fortified.
  • Do not restrict dietary fat in children younger than 2. For older children, foods higher in fat (eggs, nuts, seeds, avocados and vegetable oils) help meet nutrient and energy needs.
Vandana  R. Sheth

A healthy vegetarian diet is one that includes a wide variety of foods including whole grains, fruits, vegetables, calcium-rich foods (dairy/plant-based dairy alternatives), beans, lentils, tofu (protein), vitamin-B12 fortified foods (cereals, plant-based dairy alternatives) or a B12 supplement and is low in fat. A registered dietitian specializing in vegetarian nutrition can guide you in planning/meeting your individualized needs on a vegetarian diet.

Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD
As a vegetarian, reducing sodium, sugar and saturated fat intake in processed and packaged foods is important for a healthy diet. Choose nutrient dense foods such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, healthy fats such as olive oil, protein including eggs, fish, nuts, legumes, beans, soy or low fat dairy. A heart healthy diet is recommended with mono and poly unsaturated healthy fats of less than 30% of calories, including saturated fat less than 7% of calories. Be mindful of reducing intake of high calorie restaurant foods that are fried, butter, cream sauces and creamy salad dressing.

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

Where to Find the Best Plant-Based Proteins
You don’t have to be a vegetarian (over 7 million folks in America are) to want to increase your intake of plant-based protein. But, it’s a great idea...
Can a plant-based diet reverse arterial plaque?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Yes, it appears that a plant diet low in saturated fat can help reverse the build up of fatty deposi...
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
Better digestion, lower heart disease risks and other surprising reasons to eat more fruits and veggies.
How Do I Get Enough Protein If I Am a Vegetarian?