Can I follow a vegetarian diet while breastfeeding?

If you have chosen to follow a vegetarian diet, you can continue to follow this diet while breastfeeding. Make sure you are consuming enough calories, protein, iron, calcium, vitamin D and zinc. It’s also important to make sure that your vitamin B12 intake is adequate. This vitamin is only found in animal products. A B12 vitamin supplement is recommended for mothers on strict “vegan” diets who avoid eggs, milk products and meat products.
Vandana  R. Sheth

Absolutely! A vegetarian diet that is well balanced and varied, is nutritionally adequate at all stages of life including while breastfeeding. However, ensure that you are enjoying a wide variety of foods such as whole grains, beans, lentils, soy, nuts, seeds, dairy/dairy alternatives, heart-healthy fats in adequate amounts to meet your nutritional needs. A registered dietitian specializing in vegetarian nutrition would be a valuable source. It is also a good idea to continue taking your prenatal supplements.

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

Where to Find the Best Plant-Based Proteins
You don’t have to be a vegetarian (over 7 million folks in America are) to want to increase your intake of plant-based protein. But, it’s a great idea...
How can my child get enough nutrients on a vegetarian diet?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Getting in a variety of foods will help ensure that anyone, but certainly a vegetarian, is getti...
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
Better digestion, lower heart disease risks and other surprising reasons to eat more fruits and veggies.
How Do I Get Enough Protein If I Am a Vegetarian?