What are the benefits of a vasectomy?

The following are the advantages of vasectomy:
  • A one-time, relatively inexpensive cost that is often covered by insurance or state grant programs
  • More dependable than any other form of birth control
  • Less expensive and poses less of a medical risk than female sterilization
  • Easier to reverse than female sterilization
  • Eliminates risks to female partner of oral contraceptives or intrauterine devices (IUDs)
  • Freedom from hassle and worry of contraception

Continue Learning about Vasectomy

Recession May Have Sparked Increase in Vasectomies
The 2008 financial crisis left many people with questions they'd probably never fully considered. What happens if I'm jobless for few years? How will ...
Can I have children after a vasectomy?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
One of the main advantages of vasectomy -- that it is relatively permanent -- can also be a disadvan...
How soon after a vasectomy can I have sex?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
You can have sex two days after your vasectomy, but you must continue to use some type of contracept...
What should I expect after a vasectomy?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
You can resume light activity the day after a vasectomy, and full activity two days after the vasect...