Is it ok to get a vasectomy now and then reverse it later?

Peter N. Mattar, MD
Family Medicine

While counseling my patients, I always tell them that the vasectomy is a "non-reversible" procedure.  Although there is a chance (50-70%) that a vasectomy can be reversed, this is done at an out-of-pocket cost of $8-15K.  The procedure involves placing the individual under general anesthesia, then using microsurgical technique, attempting to reconnect the loose ends of the vas deferens. 

During the initial preop consultation for vasectomy, the patient should be well informed of the risk and cost of a reversal.  The decision to have a vasectomy should be carefully thought out and should not be done on a whim.

Continue Learning about Vasectomy

Vasectomy

During the vasectomy procedure, a surgeon severs or blocks the vas deferens, which is connected to a mans testes. This procedure prevents sperm from entering the penis during ejaculation. If you have a vasectomy, make sure that yo...

u do not want any more children because it is a permanent form of male sterilization. Although, some men do have their vasectomy reversed, with about 75% of these men conceiving after the reversal. After age 35, about one in seven men in the United States have a vasectomy.