Is it ok to get a vasectomy now and then reverse it later?

Peter N. Mattar, MD
Family Medicine

While counseling my patients, I always tell them that the vasectomy is a "non-reversible" procedure.  Although there is a chance (50-70%) that a vasectomy can be reversed, this is done at an out-of-pocket cost of $8-15K.  The procedure involves placing the individual under general anesthesia, then using microsurgical technique, attempting to reconnect the loose ends of the vas deferens. 

During the initial preop consultation for vasectomy, the patient should be well informed of the risk and cost of a reversal.  The decision to have a vasectomy should be carefully thought out and should not be done on a whim.

Continue Learning about Vasectomy

Recession May Have Sparked Increase in Vasectomies
The 2008 financial crisis left many people with questions they'd probably never fully considered. What happens if I'm jobless for few years? How will ...
Can a vasectomy reversal cause low sex drive?
Michael W. Mangelson, MDMichael W. Mangelson, MD
No. The reversal of a vasectomy is performed to return sperm to the ejaculate. This should not affec...
How soon after a vasectomy can I have sex?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
You can have sex two days after your vasectomy, but you must continue to use some type of contracept...
How should I prepare for a no-scalpel vasectomy?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
In no-scalpel vasectomy, a special instrument is used to make a tiny puncture in the skin and stretc...