Is it ok to get a vasectomy now and then reverse it later?

Peter N. Mattar, MD
Family Medicine

While counseling my patients, I always tell them that the vasectomy is a "non-reversible" procedure.  Although there is a chance (50-70%) that a vasectomy can be reversed, this is done at an out-of-pocket cost of $8-15K.  The procedure involves placing the individual under general anesthesia, then using microsurgical technique, attempting to reconnect the loose ends of the vas deferens. 

During the initial preop consultation for vasectomy, the patient should be well informed of the risk and cost of a reversal.  The decision to have a vasectomy should be carefully thought out and should not be done on a whim.

Continue Learning about Vasectomy