How should I prepare for a no-scalpel vasectomy?

In no-scalpel vasectomy, a special instrument is used to make a tiny puncture in the skin and stretch the opening so the vas deferens (the tubes that that carry sperm cells from the testicles) can be cut and tied. Even though the no-scalpel vasectomy method is very quick and simple, there are some things you need to do before the procedure:
  • Don't take any aspirin-containing medication for five days before the procedure
  • Carefully shave the underside of the penis and at least the front wall of the scrotum a day or two before the procedure (this may be easier during a bath)
  • Don't use any powder or deodorant in the genital area on the day of your procedure
  • Eat a normal breakfast or lunch before your procedure
  • If possible, arrange to have someone drive you home (driving itself is not a problem, but if you had to fix a flat tire or if you were in an accident, you might have complications)
  • Plan to do nothing but recline at home on the evening of the vasectomy

Continue Learning about Vasectomy

Recession May Have Sparked Increase in Vasectomies
The 2008 financial crisis left many people with questions they'd probably never fully considered. What happens if I'm jobless for few years? How will ...
Can I have children after a vasectomy?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
One of the main advantages of vasectomy -- that it is relatively permanent -- can also be a disadvan...
Can a vasectomy reversal cause low sex drive?
Michael W. Mangelson, MDMichael W. Mangelson, MD
No. The reversal of a vasectomy is performed to return sperm to the ejaculate. This should not affec...
What are the risks of no-scalpel vasectomy?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
In no-scalpel vasectomy, a special instrument is used to make a tiny puncture in the skin and stretc...