What is critical ischemia?

Critical ischemia refers to severe reduction in blood flow, usually to a limb or organ, which threatens the ability of the body part or organ to continue to receive oxygen and nutrients for continued function.

Critical ischemia is the progression of peripheral arterial disease.

Continue Learning about Vascular Disease

How to Get a Leg Up on Peripheral Artery Disease
When a trip up the stairs triggers pain in your legs or hips, you might think you can’t exercise. If you have peripheral artery disease (PAD), however...
Prevent Plaque in Arteries with This Summer Fruit
Keep your arteries healthy, flexible, and clog-free by tossing a handful of sweet, juicy blueberries into your morning yogurt cup. Research suggests ...
How will my doctor check if my leg cramps are due to a vascular problem?
Roman Nowygrod, MDRoman Nowygrod, MD
To check if a patient's leg cramps are due to vascular problems, first I perform a physical exam tha...
How are leg cramps due to a vascular problem treated?
Roman Nowygrod, MDRoman Nowygrod, MD
In most cases of leg cramps, I am able to rule out the presence of a serious underlying vascular con...