What is critical ischemia?

Critical ischemia refers to severe reduction in blood flow, usually to a limb or organ, which threatens the ability of the body part or organ to continue to receive oxygen and nutrients for continued function.

Critical ischemia is the progression of peripheral arterial disease.

Continue Learning about Vascular Disease

Prevent Plaque in Arteries with This Summer Fruit
Keep your arteries healthy, flexible, and clog-free by tossing a handful of sweet, juicy blueberries into your morning yogurt cup. Research suggests ...
How to Get a Leg Up on Peripheral Artery Disease
When a trip up the stairs triggers pain in your legs or hips, you might think you can’t exercise. If you have peripheral artery disease (PAD), however...
If I'm treated for PAD, am I still at risk for cardiovascular issues?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
It is important to remember that medication and procedures such as angioplasty, stenting and surgery...
What is atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
There are numerous forms of heart disease. Atherosclerosis is often considered the most important, s...