What should I consider if I have recently been diagnosed with PAD?

Joshua I. Greenberg, MD
Vascular Surgery
If you have recently been diagnosed with peripheral artery disease (PAD), you need to watch out for a few pitfalls when it comes to treatment. As with everything, do your homework and make sure that a procedure being proposed is really necessary, ask lots of questions. It is almost never appropriate to have treatment for lower extremity PAD without symptoms. Make sure that the treating doctor has extensive experience managing these problems as complications can occur and this is not just for those with a part-time interest.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Vascular Disease

Prevent Plaque in Arteries with This Summer Fruit
Keep your arteries healthy, flexible, and clog-free by tossing a handful of sweet, juicy blueberries into your morning yogurt cup. Research suggests ...
How is smoking related to Buerger’s disease?
Almost everyone diagnosed with Buerger's disease smokes cigarettes or uses other forms of tobacco, s...
What are the benefits of peripheral vascular disease (PVD) testing?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
The potential benefits of being tested for peripheral vascular disease (PVD) include: Tests for P...
Eat Walnuts to Help Manage Diabetes
Eat Walnuts to Help Manage Diabetes