Is there a genetic link to peripheral arterial disease?

Dr. Justin P. Levisay, MD
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

There is definitely a genetic predisposition to arterial disease and the risk factors that cause it. There have been certain genetic abnormalities that have been identified. However, at present, there are no widely available tests to look for genetic risk factors. This is an area of very active research and I expect there will be tests available within the next five years.

Continue Learning about Vascular Disease

Prevent Plaque in Arteries with This Summer Fruit
Keep your arteries healthy, flexible, and clog-free by tossing a handful of sweet, juicy blueberries into your morning yogurt cup. Research suggests ...
How to Get a Leg Up on Peripheral Artery Disease
When a trip up the stairs triggers pain in your legs or hips, you might think you can’t exercise. If you have peripheral artery disease (PAD), however...
How can I tell if my coronary plaque is improving with treatment?
Memorial Hospital of TampaMemorial Hospital of Tampa
Doctors can use a cardiac computerized tomography (CT) scan to see if your plaque is improving with ...
How can I prevent plaque buildup in my arteries?
Redmond Regional Medical CenterRedmond Regional Medical Center
If you are at risk of plaque buildup in your blood vessels, you need to have your cholesterol checke...