How are leg cramps due to a vascular problem treated?

In most cases of leg cramps, I am able to rule out the presence of a serious underlying vascular condition. In the absence of vascular disease, I provide advice about how to manage hydration, weight, exercise and muscle fatigue. I also prescribe recommendations for prevention, which frequently include important lifestyle recommendations, such as a healthy diet, weight loss and physical activity.

When leg cramping is caused by vascular disease, treatment will depend on the severity and nature of the disease. In many cases, conservative, nonoperative measures, such as support stockings, are sufficient, while in others, therapy may be needed to improve the problem. The most common procedures are minimally invasive vein ablations, stab phlebectomy, balloon angioplasty with or without stenting and extremity bypass operations.

Prompt treatment is important to prevent complications in the future. Regardless of the severity of a person's problem, we have the resources to provide effective care and almost always through noninvasive or minimally invasive therapy.

Continue Learning about Vascular Disease