If I'm treated for PAD, am I still at risk for cardiovascular issues?

It is important to remember that medication and procedures such as angioplasty, stenting and surgery do not cure peripheral artery disease (PAD). We continue to accumulate plaque (a fatty substance) in our arteries throughout our lives. Arteries that supply blood to the legs or feet can become blocked again after they have been treated. A re-narrowing of the artery, called restenosis, may cause you to experience leg or foot pain again. If you feel pain after you have been treated, call your doctor. A second procedure may be needed to widen the artery again.

Additionally, the underlying disease process (atherosclerosis) that involves accumulation of plaque in arteries also places us at risk for heart disease and stroke. Battling cardiovascular disease is a lifelong process of treatment in conjunction with lifestyle changes that can help prevent disease or slow the progression of existing disease.

Continue Learning about Vascular Disease